Friday, September 21, 2012

Review: Skinfood Gold Caviar Collagen Double Eye Serum

  

I admit, I am desperate for an eye cream. So desperate that I bought 3 different eye creams at the same time. I have another 3 coming my way. I've also recently started Skinfood Salmon Brightening Eye Cream for my dark circles. There were no samples of that for sale but I was so desperate I bought the whole jar of 30g. At first I was so scared that it wouldn't work out since I already have a whole 30g Laniege Water Bank Eye Gel sitting in my bathroom collecting dust. But fortunately it's been the most effective dark circle eye cream yet! But I digress..

The great thing about eye cream samples is that one sample will last you 4-5 days applied twice daily and even more if only used daily. So a few samples is enough to tell you whether or not this product is worth buying. I got 8 samples of this product because the eBay seller ended up giving me more than what was told on the website (which was a pleasant surprise)!

Description (taken from eng.theskinfood.com):
  • A collagen-enriched Eye Serum with Russian caviar extract, pure gold particles, and collagen extract that fill up loose, deflated skin for a firmer, tighter complexion.
  • Upper Eye: An Eye serum that lifts up saggy eyelids for a firmer, tighter appearance. 
  • Under Eye: An Eye serum that fills up loose and deflated under-eye area for a firmer, tighter appearance. 
My impression:

When I first tried this cream, I suddenly got swollen eyelids the next day. I tried it again two days later and the same results. I wasn't sure if it was because of the upper eye serum, the lower eye serum, the fact that I was too excited and put too much on, or the container I put the eye serum in wasn't cleaned thoroughly. 

So after my eyelids calmed down again. I started using the under eye serum ONLY, even when applying it to my eyelids. No allergic reaction. Then I used the upper eye serum ONLY, also no allergic reaction. I also re-cleaned my containers. So maybe I just applied too much the first time. Phew! No samples wasted. 

I don't have wrinkles under my eyes but I have fine lines and they're getting "deeper," creating bigger creases right under my eyes that are visible even when I layer concealer on. Also, my under eyes have always been very dry. They look like a sand mine. The dryness probably led to the fine lines. This is the first "collagen" eye cream that I've used. I've used an anti-wrinkle eye cream before, Clinique All About Eyes and All About Eyes Rich but back then I used it for my dark circles so I never really paid attention to their effect on my fine lines. 

The under eye serum is thicker in consistency, probably in between All About Eyes and All About Eyes Rich, while the upper eye serum has similar consistency to Clinique All About Eyes and Shiseido's White Lucent. Despite the initial thick consistency of the under eye serum, once you apply it's very easy to spread on your under eye and absorbs just like the upper eye serum.

I actually haven't been paying much attention to this eye cream because I've been mainly testing it to see if I get an allergic reaction. But trying on the lower eye serum, I realized first that under eyes are now very smooth. When I apply Skinfood Salmon Dark Circle Concealer Cream in the morning, it just glides on smoothly. Before, using the same concealer, my fingers would not be able to go from the left corner of my eye to the right in one glide. It felt as if there was friction in between my fingers and my under eyes. I've tried other eye creams that are moisturizing, but no eye cream until now has been able to make me glide my fingers so smoothly along my under eyes.

Also, I find that my under eyes are now firmer. This was also observed when I was putting my concealer on. Before, when I press down on my under eyes with my concealer, the skin will not push back. Now, when I put concealer on, my under eyes feel supple and firmer in that when I press my concealer down, I can feel my skin pushes back.

Usually, when we are purposely looking for results, we may see what we want to see and as a result exaggerate its effectiveness. But the fact that even though I was focused on whether or not my eyelids were allergic, I actually could notice that my under eye was smoother and firmer, is impressive in my books.  

As for the fine lines, I see a difference, but I would say this is the least impressive compared to the moisturizing and firming power. I think the deepness of the fine lines have decreased by one-third to half. So if wrinkles/fine lines are your primary concern, then this may not be the best eye cream for that.

I haven't seen much difference in my eyelids though, but I haven't used the upper eye serum as long as I've used the under eye serum. I'll update this post if I see any effectiveness on my eyelids.

Summary:
Firms and makes my under eyes supple
Moisturizes making my under eye smoothest its ever been

Fine lines and creases one-third or halved in severity, the least impressive effect
$30 for 15ml upper eye serum and 15ml under eye serum on eBay

Grade: 4/5 because it firms and moisturizes my eye like no other eye cream before but not effective enough for my fine lines and creases (and also because this is the first anti-aging eye cream I've tried)

Value: 4/5 because it only contains 15ml and having to apply two different creams may be a bit inconvenient at times

Repurchase? This was better than Skinfood Platinum Grape Cell Eye Cream, but I have yet to try the Black Raspberry which is also anti-aging so I'll compare the effects of that first before I make a decision

No comments:

Post a Comment