Monday, September 3, 2012

Review: Skinfood Avocado Leave-In Fluid



I actually bought and used this first before trying out Skinfood's Extra Virgin Olive Essence mainly because I was initially hesitant to put something so oily on my hair. I thought my hair would become a shiny oil slick. There was also more product in this one (110ml vs 60ml) and I knew avocado was very rich and moisturizing so I gave this a try first. I've also tried Skinfood Argan Oil Silk Hair Essence and you can read that post here.

Description (taken from skinfood.sg):
  • Rich moisturizing leave-in hair treatment with avocado and macadamia oil for extra nourishment and manageability.
  • Apply an appropriate amount to hair and rub it with hands. Apply evenly across the hair.
My impression:

I used this product after I've towel-dried my hair and before I blow-dry it. I found that my hair has more volume and is less frizzy than before. It feels smoother but instead of a silky smooth it's more of a..rubber smooth? Moreover I had to use 15 pumps of this in order to get my hair to behave, so a bottle like this is not going to last long for me.

Then I decided to look at the ingredients:


As you can see, avocado oil is the second last ingredient on the list! For those who may not know, ingredients are usually listed in order of the amount used in the product formula. So basically this means that 23049234 other chemicals were used here and there's probably 0.1ml of avocado oil in each bottle.

This may work for people who want to add volume to their hair, but since my hair is pretty thick already, I don't really need this. Instead, now I use it AFTER I've dried my hair to control my frizz, basically as a hair cream. That's not the purpose of this product, but it is moderately effective for that purpose and I didn't want to waste the remaining product left in the bottle.

Summary:

Adds volume to hair and takes away some frizz
Needs a LOT of product to get desired results for my hair
Does not leave hair silky smooth like the extra virgin olive essence
$10 for 110ml on eBay

Grade: 3/5 because it doesn't really do much other than make it a bit smoother and add volume (which I don't need)! Skinfood's Extra Virgin Olive Essence works better and leads to much smoother hair

Value: 2/5 because I need so many pumps to get that little difference to my hair. At that rate I think I'd be done in less than a month.

Repurchase? No, I'll be using Skinfood's Extra Virgin Olive Essence.

No comments:

Post a Comment