Sunday, September 2, 2012

Review: Skinfood Extra Virgin Olive Essence



Finally! A review for haircare :D

My hair is a dry frizzball. I use conditioner and it helps but it's not enough. The past few years I've been ironing it like crazy to make it smooth and it's damaged my hair by making some strands thick in some parts and thin in others, creating even more random curls and frizz. I've always thought that my hair was a lost cause and that I could never cut it short because then my hair wouldn't have the help of gravity pulling it down and I'd have the hair of a lion. That is, until I met this product.

I think I've tried almost, if not all, of Skinfood's hair products, like the Skinfood Argan Oil Silk Hair Essence and Skinfood Avocado Leave-In Fluid. I've also tried the Etude House Silk Scarf Repair Hair Essence. You can check out those reviews by clicking on their respective names :D

Description (taken from eng.theskinfood.com):
  • Containing extra-virgin olive oil, this hair essence gently coats damaged hair.
  • It also contains a polymer silicone complex that makes dry and frizzy hair lustrous and silky smooth. 
  • Apply desired amount to all or part of hair. To increase hair protection, apply before blow-drying.
My impression:

This product, along with Skinfood's Black Sugar Scrub Foam, are my two favorite skincare products in my skincare regimen right now. It's also what brought and renewed my interest for Skinfood. I bought their peach sake pore serum and aloe BB cream a long time ago but both didn't work too well on me so I gave up on the brand. When I went to Korea I saw this hair essence for around $6 so I thought why not let's give it a try. And it does wonders to my hair. I basically towel dry my hair, put the essence all over my hair especially the ends, leave it in for a few minutes, then blow-dry my hair. I've tried to blow-dry it literally seconds after putting the essence in and I find that the effect was dramatically reduced, so it's definitely better to leave it in for a few minutes to let it absorb. At first I used 2 pumps because I was afraid my hair would look like an oily slab if I used too much, but I've gradually increased it to 9-10 pumps and it's still fine. That's actually the only con I have with this product, the fact that I need to use a lot of pumps. My hair is almost shoulder length and I need to use 9-10 pumps. But not many people have hair as dry as mine and live in a dry climate such as mine.

Of course, this bottle is 6 bucks and not a perm, so I still need to iron my hair to get rid of the frizz that is visible to the eyes. But just from combing my hair with my fingers (even before I iron the frizz away, which is kind of weird!), I never knew my hair could feel so smooth and silky until I used this product. I will definitely be repurchasing this again and again. That being said, I am always open to trying other products and have already ordered Skinfood's argan oil essence. I'll be trying that once I receive it. 

[Update Sept 12 2012]: For those who may be deciding between getting this and Skinfood Argan Oil Silk Hair Essence, I found the Extra Virgin Olive Essence much more effective. I needed less pumps and it led to silkier looking AND feeling hair (if you read my other post you'll know what I mean) that didn't need touch-ups AFTER blow-drying. I wrote more details about this comparison in my Skinfood Argan Oil Silk Hair Essence review here.

Summary:

When I comb my hair with my fingers, my hair feels smooth and silky
Need a lot of product to achieve the effect for my hair
$11 for 60ml on eBay

Quality: 4.5/5 because it does everything except take away my frizz

Value: 4/5 because it will last longer than Skinfood's Avocado Leave-In Fluid but I still need 9-10 pumps to get my hair the way I want it

Repurchase? Yes, I think this has become my HG (holy grail) for my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment