Sunday, September 30, 2012

Review: Skinfood Platinum Grape Cell White Sun Essence SPF50 Pa+++ (sunscreen)


Third product review from the Platinum Grape Cell line. I've also reviewed Skinfood Platinum Grape Cell Essence and Skinfood Platinum Grape Cell Cream. The essence gave me quite impressive results considering it was only a one-time use sample so I was looking forward to trying this one.

Description (taken from eng.theskinfood.com):
  • An essence-type sun block that protects the skin against UVA and UVB and tackles dull skin tone, the generation of liver spots, and skin firmness contains patented whitening substance, grape cell extract and platinum. [Brightening patent: No. 1007501860000]
  • The grape cell extract is obtained from gamay grape of Bourgogne, one of the three best wine producers (Bordeaux, Bourgogne, and Cotes du Rone) in France.
  • This pure and rare precious metal is approved for the use of food, medicine, and cosmetics.
  • After your daily skincare regimen, apply liberally to all exposed skin areas. Avoid the eye area.  For best results, apply at least 15 to 20 minutes before sun exposure. Reapply frequently while out in the sun.
My impression:

Another patented product. Well, the Omija Whitening Cream & Serum was also patented and I didn't experience any significant effects, plus it ended up breaking me out. I've tried Skinfood Tomato Anti-Wrinkle Sun Cream SPF 36 PA++, which was quite oily immediately after application, so I was afraid that this one, being SPF50, was going to be super oily. I didn't dare try this until the weekend, when I have more time to fix my face if this ends up being an oil slick.

But it actually wasn't oily at all. In fact, it was a bit matte. Nothing crazy like the Skinfood Gold Kiwi No Sebum Sun Matte nightmare, but you could definitely see a dry, matte, white cast. About 5 minutes after application, it got a bit better. Still noticeable but more "natural." In the afternoon, my face was still pretty matte except for my t-zone which was just slightly oily.

I didn't notice any whitening and anti-wrinkle effect from the grape cell and platinum when I washed my face at night, unlike the effects I saw with the Platinum Grape Cell Essence overnight.

I was quite impressed at the balance between oiliness and matte though. If this were any other drugstore sunscreen with SPF50, it would be extremely oily. I found it a bit dry for me and I already have oily/combination skin, but if I were to go to Asia where it's more humid than North America, then I think it would be fine. And the SPF50 PA+++ would definitely be beneficial for those blazing Asian summers.

The only downer is that this product is quite expensive. $33 for 50g on eBay. I don't usually need SPF50 PA+++ protection so I definitely won't be buying this unless I'm planning to go to Asia for summer vacation. And even then I think I'll want to try out some other brands before I splurge on this one.

Summary:

Very good oily control for SPF50
Dies leave a slight dry, matte, white cast
No anti-wrinkle or whitening effects seen
$33 for 50g on eBay

Grade: 4/5 because for SPF50 it has pretty good oil control and doesn't make me look too ghastly white

Value: 2/5 because it's pretty expensive for 50g and I'm sure there are other Korean brands out there that can provide the same sun protection

Repurchase? No, I rather try out other creams with SPF that are less expensive

No comments:

Post a Comment