Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Review: Secret Key Prestige Snail+EGF Repairing Cream


Snail mucin products are a big part of my skincare. I use the Missha Super Aqua Cell Renew Snail Creaduring my Morning Skincare Routine and the Missha Super Aqua Cell Renew Snail Sleeping Mask for my Night Skincare Routine. These two snail products have helped with my acne scars back when I first started using them. But now I'm mostly using it for its brightening effect. They really brighten my face when I wake up and give me a healthier complexion since my natural face color is a jaundiced, unhealthy tan. I've also tried Mizon All In One Snail Repair Cream, which was more effective in minimizing the appearance of my scars but did not brighten my face, which is something I desperately need.

Description (from koreadepart.com):
  • Contains snail mucus extract, EGF, arbutine, adenosine, macadamia seed oil, shea butter
  • Snail mucus extract keeps moisture on your skin, takes care of wrinkles and promotes elasticity for skin, provides moisture and nutrition for skin
  • Paraben free, mineral oil free, benzophenone free, pigment free
  • At the last step of skin care, apply a proper amount to your face and tap lightly
My impression:

I'm already a veteran fan of snail mucin, but for those who aren't familiar, snail mucin has been the rage in Korea for the past..at least 3 years now. It has great scar healing, brightening and moisturizing properties. It is also claimed to help with wrinkles though for me the fine lines on my forehead are still there. I haven't tried many products with EGF. The only other product with EGF was my The Saem Cell Renew EGF + Snail + Synake mask that I used when I went on my first trip to Seoul 2 years ago. It is known for its ability to activate skin cell regeneration, which I assume is for getting rid of scars. 

This cream however, did not remind me of the two previous snail creams that I've tried. Yes, it moisturized well like any normal drug store cream does, but when I woke up my face went back to its dark, unhealthy jaundiced tan. The only time I remember my face color looking this bad was when I tried Etude House Collagen Moistfull Enriched Cream, and when I only got 2 hours of sleep studying for final exams. 

One sample actually lasts at least 2, maybe 3 uses. But I won't be using this again as I really don't like looking half dead first thing in the morning! 

Summary:

Moisturizes..but that's about it
Does not brighten, my face looked like I only slept 2 hours
Did not use long enough to properly evaluate anti-wrinkle ability
$15 for 50ml on eBay

Grade: 2.5/5 because it moisturized but my face color had an unhealthy jaundiced yellow tinge

Value: 2.5/5 because I can get Missha Super Aqua Cell Renew Snail Cream for the same price and it gives so much more to my skin!

Repurchase? No, no, no! If you are interested in trying snail products, I would suggest you try Missha Super Aqua Cell Renew Snail Cream if you have dry skin or Mizon All In One Snail Repair Cream if you have oily/combination skin.

4 comments:

  1. Shame you didn't like it, I use it with other snail products from Secret Key and it does wonders for my skin. Have to be careful with the amount used though, as I got oily skin, and I use it at nightime only. Maybe you would like the essence and gel cream from this series, they are really light :)

    and I don't know where you got that price from, both on e-Bay US and UK you can get it from $15 (Korean based sellers). Missha is unfortunately twice as expensive :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up about the price! I don't remember how I got that price...maybe I forgot to rank it by price like I usually do. Have edited my post :)

      Delete
    2. No problem :)
      but even with the double price I'm still tempted to try Missha after your review, it seems pretty awesome. Need to spare some money for it xD

      Delete
    3. Yeah it's brightening effects for me sucked me in xP

      Delete